Friday, August 30, 2013

Baby's First ER Visit

So I thought I would share the whole story about why we were at the ER at 3 am. 

Lily woke up sounding croupy Thursday morning. Wheezing. Barking when she cried and such. So this isn't the first time. When she was 5 months old she had an upper respiratory infection and we had to get a breathing machine. So I gave her a treatment and about 30 min later she sounded a lot better. She ran around the house like a crazy lady, playing with toys and getting into everything.

Friday Morning 2 am: Lily wakes up to nurse. While nursing her breaths are short, quick, and labored. She sounded ragged and like she wasn't able to draw in a full breath. So we quit nursing and went to the living room for another breathing treatment. We played for about 20 min to see if it was better (she's acting perfectly normal), then laid down in our bed. She sounded about 1/2 better. I woke Justin up and we sat listening to her for a little bit. Because she sounded so junked up, I was afraid there may be some fluid build up and that's a bit scary. 

3:30 am: We decide it's better to be the idiot parents that freak out, then wait until she's lethargic and can't breath hardly at all. Plus this is Labor day weekend and she wouldn't be seen until Tuesday probably. Four days of ragged breathing... Mama can't handle that. So we get to the ER and they take a look at her. She has a 102 fever and the nurse said (and I literally quote) "Yup, she sounds pretty crappy." haha. Then says follow me and announces to the nursing staff, "Who wants a cute little baby who sounds like doo doo?" lol Good to know they have a sense of humor at 4 in the morning.

Chest X-ray, RSV swap, Breathing Treatment, Tylenol. 
Everything looks good even though she's still wheezing. We get to go home with a prescription. 
The whole time (unless she's being treated), she's all smiles and flirting with the nursing staff. 

5:30 am: Donuts on the way home :D Hey we were starving.

Home by 6 am and back in bed.

Then I wake up to a smelly house and a buzzing noise. I get out of bed and there are flies all down the hallway that bite. I ran through them to see what the smell was and was bitten by about five of them! Ouch. Get to the kitchen and see our Chinese food from last night is all over the floor and the sauce all over the carpet. Lily is rolling around in it laughing! Holy Moly! I wake Justin up to come clean the floors while I hose off Lily in the back yard. When she's finally clean we put a new diaper on and she runs out into the yard. There is more Chinese food!  Everyone from base threw their Chinese food over our fence and there is rice and noodles piled high! Lily is back messy. I have no idea what to do! We will definitely get a yard violation for this.....



Then I hear a baby talking to herself and I wake up. It's 10 am. I go get Lily. She's all smiles. Still wheezy, but doing better. :D I declare it a PJ/movie/breathing treatment day. If she doesn't respond to treatment by Monday, I will call Tuesday morning. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers! It was a bizarre night!

No comments:

Post a Comment