Recently Justin and I have started Dave Ramsey's class at our church. For those of you who haven't heard of him he is the Financial Peace University guy. Google it :D
90% of our debt is because I am not decisive towards a career I actually want to do. (Here mom... yes I should have listened to you and got a degree in teaching in the first place lol. There.) We closed our eyes when we added another unmentionable amount to my already gigantic school loan debt. Think of it this way... ever seen that sudden link commercial where the elderly woman with her walker finally mails her last student loan check. "Hard is paying off your student loans. Easy is Internet with sudden link" Well..... THAT'S ME.. in 60 yrs. And that is without a PhD. sigh. Oh well I don't regret going to school and I don't have resentment about having to pay for them. I'm the one that went. It has taught me how to try to be smart with finances. Not a bad lesson considering 1/2 the country is up to their eye balls in debt without student loans.
Anyway.. back to Financial Peace (FPU). It has been a great class so far. We had already saved before I quit to do student teaching, so we already had our emergency fund. We have already been on a budget too... although we're kind of bad at it. NOW we really have to stick to it. ENVELOPES Dave? Really? Oh yes friends... if I say no to eating out with you it's not because I don't like you anymore. It's because the money in my envelopes floated away.
Next we focus of "dumping debt". Ahhh... student loans. I would like to just ignore you forever. We put some money we had been saving down on Justin's car and refinanced it through another bank with a lower interest rate. Now we get to take any extra money we make and put it to the car loan. What? Extra money and no Shoes?!! Yes. We are insane. But one day we'll be insane without a car payment. Give us some more years and we will be without student loans. That will be a day I throw a huge party and invite you all.
Only one problem with this perfect paying off debt scenario. I want babies. Can't wait 15 years when we are debt free. I'll be super old. lol Two things need to happen for that. Teaching job and no car payment. Prayer donations excepted. lol Especially for the teaching job part.
Biggest challenge in all this? Not buying things when I want it. It's horrible. I want to be in a house. I want to paint and decorate that house. I want kiddos. Justin wants toys. We have to play the save and wait game. Ugh. Sometimes I think mean things about dear old Dave. But I know it is better to wait till you have the money than to finance. So here we go.
So we're on our way to being debt free! I recommend this class to anyone who rolls their eyes and cries a bit inside when the bills come in. I hear you. Us too. lol So check it out!!
love it!!! esp the part about your money envelope floating away....its a mystery i tell you...and the thing that sucks about all of this you ask??!! you have a plan, you stick to that plan...but wait...the unexpected happens and you have more bills to pay...then you push all your "plans" back another year and then another...haha gotta love life! :) sometimes not planning on having a baby ends up being the best part of your life aside from all the extra bills involved...but i will say, life wouldnt be as interesting without all the drama! Love you Katie!!! so glad yall are working so hard to get rid of your debt! we need to take a class from you!! (although we are working hard too! just not enough..grrr ha)
ReplyDeleteoh and what do i mean not working hard enough?? ya I just ordered my iPhone 4s...haha but I am in DIRE need of a new phone....but you are right i could have gone with a cheaper phone.ha!
ReplyDelete